Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today


I really thought this video was eye catching. It is a very accurate description of what it is like to be a student today. I had to learn most of my computer technology on my own. My high school didn't do a good job on preparing us for the future. It seems that school systems are a little behind on times when it comes to adjusting to the changing needs of the students. Another great point, was even though we have these complaints about school and wish that it was better, we are so much better off than other places around the world. I think that was a great way to end the video, it really put a spin on the information that was presented in the beginning. It shows you, that maybe being a student isn’t the easiest thing, but you truly are lucky to even have the money to buy the books you don’t read.


It’s Not about the Technology by Kelly Hines


I thought Kelly Hines post was very interesting. In order for teachers to educate their students on the new technology, school systems need to promote technology first. Too many teachers are in their own comfort zone and not willing to learn how to better educate their students. When I was in high school, I had only one computer class. Looking back, my computer class could have been very beneficial, if my teacher was willing to learn new ideas.


Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher? by Karl Fisch


Is it ok to be technologically illiterate? My answer to that question would be no. But, if you would have asked me two weeks earlier, I would have probably told you something different. Before I took this class I had minimal computer knowledge. A lot of it is my fault, but at the same I think it’s my teacher’s fault as well. In high school it was never a priority to be technology literate. As long as you could pass the exit exam you were in the clear! I think it’s mostly because they were all technologically illiterate. We need as future teachers to put a stop to this ongoing curse.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count


It is so crazy to imagine the amount of people who are blogging just like me! This is my first blog and my first everything! I need to get with the times and start taking advantage of all the new technology that exists. The numbers just keep on going and they’ll never stop. That tells me that that there’s always going to be something new and the only way to know it, is to learn it!

2 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    I totally agree with you. My high school was using microprocessors which are really just high tech typewriters. It was ridiculous. The schools have these computers but do not use them to teach and let the students explore. The teachers need to do the same!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Crystal.

    I think a lot of students provably feel the way that you do about their high schools not teaching them about technology. I know my own 14 year old son who just completed his 9th grade year at a local high school was not impressed. He took a computer course and claimed it was all so easy but he also made a B for the semester. I pointed out that the course must not have been that easy. I get the impression from talking to him about it that maybe he did not get involved enough in his own learning. But it also sounds like the course was not very interesting and maybe a little behind the times. SS

    ReplyDelete