Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Final Post Reflection

I remember the first day I walked into class. I was already nervous because I had to give up my full-time job to go back to school. The thought of going back to school was terrifying. But, since I wanted to be a teacher, I wasn’t going to let anything get in the way. When I registered for this class, I honestly thought it was going to be an overview of Microsoft Word, Spreadsheet, and Power Point. Little did I know, I was about to learn and participate in things that I had no idea about! The first two or three weeks of class were the WORST time of my life, or so it seemed. The idea of following instructions on the internet was an awful idea! I felt like I was being shorted of my education. No matter how bad I wanted to give up, I told myself to keep going. What helped me the most was going to lab every Tuesday and Thursday. I know I probably harassed Anthony the most. But, if it wasn’t for the computer lab and everyone’s help, I don’t think I would have made it through the end. Once I got a general knowledge of my blog and understanding how to embed and post, things started to get a little easier. The work was really time consuming, especially the first month. I spent on average, around 15 hours or more a week in EDM 310. I dreaded every Wednesday and Sunday night. I learned fast to start on an assignment as soon as I could, so that I wouldn’t have so much to do on the day it was due. I realized I had to change my mindset and to approach every assignment as a positive one. If you try to look at every assignment as something new and exciting, you start to take appreciation in your work. I thought blogging and all the assignments were just a waste of time. I didn’t understand why this was all important to me in becoming a teacher. I thought since the traditional way worked on me than why can I not do the same? I was so wrong! Maybe If I would have ever gotten out of my comfort zone in school, I would have had a little more motivation or drive while entering the first couple of years in college. I think it’s really important for everyone to keep up with the new technology. Everything around us is constantly changing and if we decide not to change ourselves, than what kind of teacher would we be? This class has really opened my eyes and made me understand the importance of technology. I plan on using podcast, videos, and blogging in my classroom. After following teachers and kids from around the world, I see how excited the students are when they use these tools in class. I would tell anyone who is taking this class in the future, just to take it one day at a time and try to manage your time wisely! Always keep a positive outlook and make the best of it! I would have to say that I have learned the most out of this class than any other class I have ever taken. I plan on using what I have learned in the future and never forgetting what it took to get me there.

1 comment:

  1. I remember your first day in class too. I thought we were going to lose you. But your determination kicked in. Your fear subsided. And now, eight weeks later, your are deeply involved in a new way of thinking about learning and teaching. Your description of your journey is thoughtful and well written. It is absolutely honest. And it will help others who come back to a very different world of school. Just like Mr. Winkle when he wakes. But you have changed. For the better. That's a much better fate than Mr. Winkle's.

    Your story will be an inspiration to others. I hope you will stay involved with EDM310. Contribute to the Alumni Blog. Leave a comment now and then on a new student's blog. Offer encouragement to those who feel overwhelmed as you did. And stop by the lab to see us.

    The very best to you!

    ReplyDelete